Who can practice Validation?
Validation can be used by anyone who cares for very old disoriented people. Both professionals and family members can use Validation with positive results. Validation practitioners must have empathy, be non-judgmental and be able to handle their own feelings, as well as the feelings of others. In order to validate another person, the Validation practitioner must “center”, observe carefully, and then step into the personal reality of the client. There are verbal and non-verbal techniques that can be learned and used to build a trusting relationship in which the clients can communicate and be motivated to express themselves.
Most people find that they need training in Validation in order to integrate the theory and techniques into practice. Courses and training in Validation are offered by certified Validation Teachers. There are 4 levels of certification. Each level builds on the experience and knowledge gained from the course preceding.
Validation Support Group for Beginning Validators
Are you using the Validation techniques you learned at a workshop or read about in Naomi’s book and having difficulties? Are you feeling alone in your efforts to use Validation? Are you seeking inspiration in your work with older adults experiencing disorientation?
To help address these concerns and more, the Validation Training Institute is sponsoring a monthly support group using VTI’s online meeting platform. Attendees can expect:
- Coaching and new ideas for handling problem situations
- Opportunities for networking with others in a similar situation.
- Encouragement and inspiration from fellow attendees to learn more Validation skills
- The last Thursday of each month
- 8 p.m. EST, 7 p.m. CST, 6 p.m. MST, 5 p.m. PST (United States)
- Meeting schedule: May 30th, June 27th, July 25, August 29, Sept 26, Oct 31, 2019
- Online: when you register for the group, you will receive an invitation link via e-mail
What you need to participate
- A computer with Internet access
- A Web camera
- Speakers and microphone (most laptops have built-in cameras and microphones)
- A device with internet access, camera and speaker (ex. iPhone, tablets, smart phones)
About Our Teachers/Presenters
Our teachers/presenters have been studying and practicing Validation techniques for at least three or more years. In order to become teachers/presenters, they took the level 1 Worker course to learn how to use Validation techniques with individuals under a Certified Validation Teacher or Master. Next, they took the level 2 Group Practitioner course to use those techniques with a group of elders with dementia. Finally, they took the Teacher Course with a Certified Validation Master in order to teach others how to practice Validation techniques. Our certified teachers and presenters continue to maintain their credentials by participating in continuing education activities on a yearly basis. Every five years they are supervised by a Validation Master in order to maintain their skills. Naomi Feil has been known to attend the meetings when not conducting workshops.
Here is a few minutes of a support group.
How to register?
E-mail Validation Training Institute Manager Jana Stoddard at info (at) vfvalidation (dot) org