Learn how to use empathy and Validation techniques to enter the world of the disoriented very old person
In 3 interactive, online sessions (4 hours each) you will:
- Practice person-centered skills, developing the basic Validating Attitude
- Practice specific Validation techniques that create positive relationships and build communication
- Understand the aging process and the different forms of dementia
- Understand the various reasons for the behavior of very old people living with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias
- Experience the process of empathy and develop empathy with others
In 2 interactive, coaching sessions (4 hours each) you will:
- Feel confident that you are using the Validation attitude and techniques, not lying, using diversion or redirection
- Get supportive feedback on your interactions with older adults with specific ways to improve communication and the relationship.
- Feel more competent in your ongoing relationship and communication with older adults living with cognitive decline.
Only 25 participants per class creates personalized attention and a safe space to learn.
Participants are asked to video tape their interactions and upload their favorite to a protected, HIPPA-approved site. These videos will be deleted after the course is completed.
Participants in the course will receive an official Certificate of Completion at the end of the course signed by Validation Training Institute Executive Director Vicki de Klerk-Rubin.
Meet the teachers:
Nancy is a Certified Validation Teacher and is The Deputy Director for Communication for The Validation Training Institute (VTI). She has worked for over 17 years with persons living with dementia. Nancy is a PhD candidate in Dementia Care at the University of Edinburgh, and a member of ECRED (Edinburgh Center for the Research of the Experience of Dementia).
Otherprofessional experience includes:
- A certified instructor for NCCAP (National Certification Council for Activity Professionals) and teaches their online course on Validation
- Executive Committee for Non-Pharmacological Intervention research group of the Alzheimer’s Association International.
- Teaches courses and webinars for VTI as well as private organizations.
Between her work, doctorate, and taking care of her 5 dogs Nancy is pretty busy these days!
Oran is a Certified Validation Teacher and is also the creator of Hands-on Dementia, a program designed to help caregivers, staff, and family members connect deeper with individuals living with dementia. It is based on the principles of HandReflexology and Validation.
The program is based on Oran’s 25 years of experience as a reflexologist and her 15 years of working with people living with dementia.
Oran teaches Hand Reflexology and Validation workshops worldwide to staff at senior facilities and nursing homes. Her work with live-in caregivers of people living with dementia has been presented at several International Conferences including Alzheimer’s Disease International (ADI2022)
Oran loves being out in nature and hikes and runs on trails whenever she has some free time. Oran enjoys Musical Theater and has choreographed for community theater productions